CCGS Alexander Henry is a former Canadian Coast Guard Icebreaker, buoy tending, Lighthouse Supply Ship athat served on the Great Lakes from 1959 to 1984. In 1986, the vessel was handed over to the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes in Kingston, Ontario for preservation as a museum ship.
The vessel was constructed by Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. at their yard in Port Arthur, Ontario and launched on 18 July 1958. The icebreaker entered service in July 1959 with the Department of Transport’s Marine Service as CGS Alexander Henry using the prefix “Canadian Government Ship”.
After her decommissioning in 1984 efforts were made to bring the Henry to Thunder Bay but these efforts were not success and she was acquired by the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes in Kingston, Ontario.
Now after 33 years the ship has been returned to Thunder Bay after $250,000 was raised locally and from the City to Bring the Henry Home. It will open at the Pool Six Cruise Ship dock in late spring 2018. Future Celebrations are planned.